1754 – present
The Moravian Church in Jamaica, which was established in 1754, represents a continuation of the Caribbean Moravian mission, which commenced in 1732. Prior to its mission in the Caribbean, the Moravians established work in the Continental and British Provinces. About 130 years after its establishment, the Moravian Church in Jamaica was formally incorporated by an act of the Parliament. At the time of incorporation, the Church had a training college for ministers at Fairfield, the teachers’ college at Bethlehem, along with several other primary education institutions. The work in Jamaica was then under the supervision of the Supreme Executive Board in Britain. The local executive board at the time consisted of Rev. Edwin E. Reinke, the President, Rev. George H. Hanna, the treasurer and Johnan P. Pulkrabek, the secretary. Some of the larger portions of land listed at the time of incorporation include 469 acres at Lititz, 341 acres at Nazareth and 95 acres at Beaufort near Darliston. There were altogether 68 different parcels of land, most of which have remained to today. The period between 1754 and 1834 can thus be called the period of establishment.
The period between 1834 and 1894 can be described as the period of settlement. During this time, Moravian mission emanated from 14 centres in St. James, Westmoreland, St. Elizabeth and Manchester: Beaufort, Bethabara, Bethany, Bethlehem, New Carmel, New Eden, Fairfield, Fulneck, Irwin Hill, Lititz, Mispah, Nazareth, Salem and Springfield. It was not until 1891 that work in Kingston was initiated. Since then, four other congregations have been established in Richmond Park, Harbour Vew, Molynes Road and Portmore. Of particular note were the settlements, which were attempted or established between 1834 and 1861. The parcel in Beaufort near Darliston was purchased in 1833, Litiz, near Nain in St. Elizabeth in 1834 , Nazareth at Maidstone in Manchester in 1840 and Salem, near Beeston Spring in Westmoreland in 1860. Of these settlements, Nazareth was the most successful. The character of the work in that community today owes much to the community initiatives of the 1840’s. The fact that some forty schools were established on the 68 pacels of lands is a testimony to the emphasis that the Moravian Church has placed on education. The programmes of community development, which were centred at New Eden, near Bogue in St. Elizabeth, from as early as 1769 and Fairfield in Manchester from 1824, are the early precursors of the community outreach projects that Unitas of Jamaica is involved in today.
The period between 1894 and 1954 can be described as the time of consolidation. It was during this period (1899) that the first Synod was held. Prior to this the Provincial meetings were referred to as conferences. Maybe the most critical factor facing the Province then was the matter of financial sustainability. The period also saw an intensification of attempts to develop an indigenous clergy and local ecumenical ventures. When the 150th anniversary was observed in 1904, less than twenty-five percent of the clergy was Jamaican but that would change in the ensuing period.
The period since 1954, the modern period, is one in which there has been a complete transition to a local leadership. The first native President of the local Provincial Board, Rev. Walter O’Meally was elected in 1951, having graduated from the Moravian College at Fairfield in 1899. O’Meally was succeeded by Bishop S. U. Hastings. The late Dr. R. W. M Cuthbert succeeded Hastings and Bishop Robert Foster succeeded Br. Cuthbert. Rev. Stanley Clarke, who served from 1997 – 2003, Rev. Dr. Livingstone Thompson served from 2003 to 2005 and the Rev. Dr. Paul Gardner who is currently serving as President. Rev. Dr. Paul Gardner is also the current President of the Unity Board of the World wide Moravian Church. The Moravian Church in Jamaica is comprised of some 63 congregations, 27 educational institutions, 35 ordained ministers and 40 lay pastors that serve Jamaica, Cuba and Grand Cayman. Presently the Moravian community in Jamaica is about 30,000 persons. The Bishops of the Moravian Church within the Jamaica province are the Rt. Rev. Stanley Clarke and Rt. Rev. Devon Anglin.